Kat's Slow Cooker Bolognese


How many times did I make this for you guys? All I know is that my mouth is watering as I type this...

http://dianaskitchen.com/images/bolognese-sauce-1.jpg

  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 large carrots, shredded or sliced paper thin
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 or 3 pounds beef shoulder roast, cut into 1" cubes
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine, red wine vinegar, or balsamic vinegar (whatever's convenient)
  • 1 #10 (96oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tsp (or 2 cubes) beef broth mix
  • 6 leaves basil, chopped (or 2 tbsp dry)
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 bay leaves
Add oil to a large skillet* over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté till soft. Lift cooked onions from oil and place in slow cooker.

Add beef to pan in small batches and brown all sides, removing to slow cooker when done. After all beef cubes are browned, add red wine and 1 cup crushed tomato to pan and de-glaze; empty contents into slow cooker.

Stir in tomatoes and remaining ingredients.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf.

* I liked black iron but use whatever you have... I won't judge you, I promise... :)